Thursday, October 4, 2007

Dory building on the cheap

Brad Dimock, Colorado River guide and author, along with his good friend, Dan Dierker, built a drift boat to the lines of the original McKenzie using plans in the book "Drift Boats and River Dories" by Roger Fletcher (www.riverstouch.com). The hull was built in six days. Yes. Six days. Brad then took another couple of weeks to design and complete the interior, all designed with camping in mind. He oiled the hell out of it using a gallon of pine tar, linseed oil, turpentine and Japan drier. He writes, "The boat drank the whole dang thing. Smells good and looks great."

http://www.riverstouch.com/DimockAndDierker.htm

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Damn! Maybe that is the boat I should build!

Creed said...

Jeremy,
One sweet ride! I've been watching you build this boat since May through your blog and posts on the boat builder forum. I'd still like to swing by your house some time to check it out in person. I just got off a Cataract Canyon trip this week and daydreamed of rowing a dory the whole time.
Creed

Jeremy Christensen said...

Creed - Happy to show you the boat. Cat is on the wishlist for next year, and I'd love to hear about your trip. Shoot me an email and let me know what your schedule is.

Jeremy

Mike said...

Jeremy- Your love for dories has got me thinking. I too own a dory and infrequently see other dories out on the river. I have often thought that a "dory rally" should be put together. Perhaps a weekend floating the Moab Daily or Ruby/Horsethief for whitewater dory owners in the southwest. Because dories are so unique, it would be a great opportunity to see what other boats are like. It would be historical and educational at the same time. And Fun! Just throwing it out there. Perhaps via the internet (utahrafters,etc)and this blog, we could get something together for 2008. Great Website! Cheers, Mike

Jeremy Christensen said...

Mike - I'm all for it. I love seeing dories on the river, and each boat has it's own character (aside from the characters at the oars, that's a whole other story). The guys in the Northwest have boat shows and big floats with lots of dories. But the southwest has it's own dory history, which deserves to be preserved and celebrated.

Lets try and put something together for the spring. Until then, I have a Thanksgiving Horsthief & Ruby, and maybe a New Years Black Canyon on my horizon...just can't let it be over, it's been such an incredible year of rivers!!!

Mike said...

Jeremy- sounds good! I'll keep it on my radar and make contact after the New Year.
Happy Trails,
Mike

BG said...

Great info. Beauty of a craft.
-BG