Monday, August 18, 2008

Wagons East!


I am, unequivocally, a "western" kid. I say this because I was born, raised, and until recently, resided in the "west." That is, the western United States (of America), and specifically the state of Utah. (Utah is a terrible place - don't ever go there. Especially the rivers. They are dorky.)

But now the time has come to cast off the bowline and begin the next great adventure in my life: a year-long wilderness experience, in the most terrifying wilderness I can fathom -

the "east."

Actually, I couldn't be more excited. My better 2/3rds is gearing up to finish her Masters degree at Duke University in Durham, so we are off to explore new rivers and lakes, new forests, new mountains, new cities and new people, new food and new experiences.

You won't see many desert trip reports for a while, or many dory shots. But if you check back now and then you will see a glimpse into the world of a "western" kid pointing the wagon east.

Happy trails to you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Moved to NC 12 yrs ago. Was just in Utah last week. You'll survive. The winter is the time for trout fishing. East Tenn. tailwaters and NC delayed harvest will have to do but can be lots of fun. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the East! I'm in Greensboro, but no stranger to your part of the country. Backcountry skiing in the Wasatch is cool. I'm currently building a drift boat to use in E. Tenn. and hopefully in the West later on... Beautiful photos, by the way. My home territory is near Highlands, where I see you've visited.