Monday, September 17, 2007

Drift Boat, or Dory?


Depends on who you ask. It seems that people who use their craft specifically for fishing, tend to call them drift boats. Those who use them for general river running tend to call them dories.

Roger Fletcher, of Rivers Touch (www.riverstouch.com) has dedicated himself to "preserving and promoting the quiet wakes of drift boats on water, the most elegant of river craft." To this end, he has produced an incredible book which documents the evolution of the dory, their history, design, construction, and use. I bought a copy of this book the day it came out, and all I can say is that I wished I'd had it when I was building my boat. Visit Roger's website and order yourself a copy. It includes plans and construction tips for several boats, including the square-end "Rapid Robert," the classic Single and Double-ender MacKenzies, the Rogue River hull, and the Gerry Briggs Grand Canyon Dory.


No comments: