Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Rock Me On The Water

Before today I had never heard of Renny Russell, but now I feel like he is somehow my cosmic doppelganger, add 30-40 years. Today I got an email from a coworker, letting me know that this dude was going to be speaking tonight at Ken Sanders' book store, about Desolation Canyon and building dories and other things that sounded interesting. So I wrote a message to myself on my left hand: 7 Ken Sanders, meaning go to Ken Sanders at 7. Well, Ray called me at about 7 and said he'd be drinking in the garage and did I want to come over and drink in the garage too. Of course I did. So I left to go to Rays. But when I got in my car, I looked at the clock and it said 7:14. Something clicked. I looked down at my left hand. 7 Ken Sanders. So I turned west and went to Ken's book store instead. Glad I did. (Sorry Ray.)

If you grew up in the sixties, maybe you've heard of this guy Renny. He wrote a book called "On the Loose" which I'm told was a cult classic. But I was more struck by the story he told of the tragedy of his brother's death at Steer Ridge on the Green River in Desolation Canyon, when the boat they were in flipped. Renny walked 75 some odd miles out of Deso to the town of Green River and basically disapeared off the face of the earth. His brothers body was found in the eddy above Florence Creek a few days later.

His new book "Rock Me On The Water" tells the story of "a life on the loose," the loss of his brother, and of Renny's return to the river by way of building dories. I can't wait to read it. He read some passages, and showed some unbelievable slides from a life of river running. One incredible picture caught my attention, of a dory guide in the Grand Canyon posing in front of a mangled wooden dory, missing half it's bow. Literally, the entire right-front panel of the boat (where the name is painted) was literally blown out, gunnel and all. The missing piece, proudly being displayed by the guide. Big smile on his face. It turns out, the boat had been flipped in Crystal rapid, and had become pinned in the rock garden below, with the guide underneath entangled by his life jacket. He escaped. The dory was recovered, and to my amazement, repaired! I am told it is still in use today. The boat's name was "Wooden shoe." I would love to see it on the river some day.

I must confess, I picked up a copy of his book from Ken's, and after speaking with Renny for a few minutes and having him sign the book, I walked out of the store without paying for it. Sorry Ken! I'll be in first thing tomorrow to settle my tab.

No comments: